The greater number of newspapers are on the Right Bank. The first newspaper was founded in 1631 by a man who knew that his paper must be supported by the “ads.” He had his office in an attic on the Cité and had his “announcements” (the French still use announces for news-paper advertisements) posted in all parts of Paris.
Today the 9th Arr. has seven important publications, all of them morning papers, while close by, in the 10th and in the 2nd, are six others. Four others are near the Champs Elysées; and the foreign correspondents are scattered pretty generally near the Opéra, on the Grand Boulevards.
The oldest of all the Paris papers, the Journal des Débats, is in the 1st Arr., in the very same building where it began in 1789: No. 13 rue St Germain-l’Auxerrois; that narrow street was already a thousand years old then. Go and look into it.